Re: going crazy with serial type

From: Cindy <ctmoore(at)uci(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: going crazy with serial type
Date: 2002-01-31 20:37:30
Lists: pgsql-general

OK, next question. I'm trying to use nextval/currval and I'm getting
this:

search_info=# select currval('state_vectors_id_seq');
ERROR: state_vectors_id_seq.currval is not yet defined in this session
search_info=# select id from state_vectors;
id
----
1
(1 row)

shouldn't the first select have returned 1? The state_vectors_id_seq
is the sequence created by declaring id SERIAL in the table
state_vectors, and I've done one INSERT INTO state_vectors VALUES
(nextval('state_vectors_id_seq'), ... ); which worked fine and is
where the 1 comes from. (I'm interested in finding out the value used
for the most recent insert, and currval seemed like a pretty painless
way of doing so.)

(I'm basing this on 4.15.2 of the postgresql faq kindly supplied
earlier.)

--CIndy