FILLFACTOR and increasing index

From: Leonardo Francalanci <m_lists(at)yahoo(dot)it>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: FILLFACTOR and increasing index
Date: 2011-05-08 06:57:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

the doc pages are somehow "cryptic" regarding FILLFACTOR.
(well, at least they're cryptic to me, since I don't know a lot
of btree stuff...)

I have an index on a timestamp value that is inserted, for 90%
of the inserts, in increasing order. No updates, no deletes on the
table (appends only).

What would be the "right" or "sensible" FILLFACTOR in this case?

I guess the docs need some example of "sensible" values for
some of the "classic" cases? (I'm sure I'm not the only one
storing a timestamp index in time-order...)

Leonardo