Re: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...)

From: "Dawid Kuroczko" <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...)
Date: 2008-03-28 00:46:06
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 11:49 PM, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
>
> > I figure something like the more or less standard options for modern
> > *nixes, with short and long options like eg.
> > pgc -C, --createdb ...
>
> The idea thrown out was to use something like the CVS/svn model where a
> single command gets called followed by either the name of the subcommand
> or a very short abbreviation for it. Here's a first cut of how I would
> translate the current names, with the things I use more given the shorter
> abbreviations in cases where there's some overlap in characters:
>
> pgc cluster
[...]

Agree, except I would prefer "pg" instead of "pgc".

Why?
When I see "pgc" I am not sure what the command is for -- it looks like
a short form for "pg create something", or maybe alias for pg_ctl, of which
I know is for starting and stopping database (and not for creating users ;)).

With "pg" I am sure that the comand is "generic to the extreme", so I don't
have to assume what does "c" stand for. Control? Create? Client? or Command.

Also its about 33% shorter. ;-)

Regards,
Dawid

PS: And I feel it feels more natural to say "pg createuser" than "pgc
create user",
but that's solely my "typing impression".