AIX - best practices?

From: "Dawid Kuroczko" <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: AIX - best practices?
Date: 2007-06-16 10:00:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello!

There is a good chance that I'll be trying to deploy PostgreSQL
on some older IBM Power5+ machines (running AIX 5.2 or 5.3).

I wonder if any of you coukl give me some hints on using PostgreSQL
on that platform?

Installation

Looks like I'll be compiling from source (or are there any good packages
available?). It also seems to be a good idea to use xlc instead of gcc
(according to the FAQ).

Tuning

Are there any tuning hints at operating system level that I should pay
more attention to? I.e. jfs/jfs2 mount options, sync settings, etc. etc.?

Anyway, what are your feelings with regard to using PostgreSQL
under AIX? How do you feel it compares to other "big" Unixen as
far as PostgreSQL goes?

Regards,
Dawid