Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0

From: "Dawid Kuroczko" <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Duncan Garland" <duncan(dot)garland(at)ntlworld(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0
Date: 2006-10-22 07:54:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 10/21/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Duncan Garland wrote:
> >> How do you position Postgres against MySQL 5.0?
> >
> > We don't. We produce useful database software, and people use it or
> > they don't.
> >

> That really isn't a helpful answer Peter. On paper, MySQL 5.0 looks like
> a very healthy competitor to PostgreSQL. We all know that MySQL 5.0 is
> still very immature in the feature set that (on paper) compares very
> well with PostgreSQL. This individual obviously does not.

The problem is that sometimes marketing/management types do not
know that -- they've heard that MySQL developed some features, so
"maybe we should try...". Then again, when they hear about PostgreSQL
which is far more mature, they are sceptic about it. And then its a
question
are they enough open minded to try and see the proofs, or are they
closed minded and confident of their omniescence.

In short, we really compare closer to an Oracle or DB2 then a MySQL.
> MySQL just isn't there yet.

Yeah, but sometimes links like this:
http://tweakers.net/reviews/646/10
sometimes help to make prople see that MySQL just doesn't work
too well under load. :)

Oh, and it takes about 1-2 months of careful advocacy to convert
an Oracle DBA from PostgreSQL-agnostic into
PostgreSQL-newbie-enthusiast. ;)))

Regards,
Dawid