Re: Converting MySQL tinyint to PostgreSQL

From: Dawid Kuroczko <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Converting MySQL tinyint to PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-07-19 00:02:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On 7/18/05, Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my> wrote:
> However, maybe padding for alignment is a waste on the disk - disks being
> so much slower than CPUs (not sure about that once the data is in memory ).
> Maybe there should be an option to reorder columns so that less space is
> wasted.

Out of curiosity, do I understand right that if I create table

CREATE TABLE sample1 (
a boolean,
b int,
c boolean
);

...it will take more storage than:

CREATE TABLE sample2 (
b int,
a boolean,
c boolean
);

...I don't think such ordering should matter, but I would like to know
how it really is. :)

Regards,
Dawid