Re: returned value from SQL statement

From: "Alain Roger" <raf(dot)news(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Craig Ringer" <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: returned value from SQL statement
Date: 2008-03-27 10:25:18
Lists: pgsql-general

not really.. but it is true that it can be confusing...sorry :-(

the purpose here, it is to solve my problem with a transaction inside a
function.
i need to know if there is a common return value for error in case of a SQL
statement failed.
it seems that not, so i would like to know if the rollback inside an
EXCEPTION block is the best practice.

here is an example :

> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION cust_portal.sp_u_003(usrname character varying,
> firstname character varying, email character varying, nl_reg boolean,
> nl_lang character varying)
> RETURNS integer AS
> $BODY$
>
> DECLARE
>
> existing_email INTEGER := 0;
>
> BEGIN
> set search_path = cust_portal;
>
> SELECT count(*) INTO existing_email FROM users WHERE users.email =
> email;
> IF (existing_email != 0) THEN
> RETURN (-1);
> ELSE
> -- BEGIN TRANSACTION;
> INSERT INTO cust_portal.users VALUES
> (
> nextval('users_usr_id_seq'),
> usrname,
> firstname,
> email,
> nlreg,
> nl_lang
> );
>
> DELETE FROM cust_portal.tmp_newsletterreg WHERE
> tmp_newsletterreg.email = email;
>
> COMMIT;
> RETURN(0);
>
> EXCEPTION