Re: Server Side C programming Environment Set up

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Kemin Zhou <kemin(dot)zhou(at)ferring(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server Side C programming Environment Set up
Date: 2004-04-22 16:07:03
Lists: pgsql-sql

Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca> writes:
> On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 01:18, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> make install-all-headers
>>
>> It's explained in the installation instructions.

> That doesn't happen on most platforms in the standard package.

Depends what you mean by "standard package"? The PGDG and Red Hat RPMs
certainly do install-all-headers. They are in the postgresql-devel
package, which seems appropriate to me.

I agree with the suggestion elsewhere in the thread about generalizing
the contrib Makefile framework to the point that it could be installed
as part of the -devel RPM, and then used to build user-written backend
functions. Ideally you could take one of the contrib subdirectories
by itself, and build it using only what is installed by postgresql-devel,
without needing access to the original source or build trees. I don't
think we are real close yet, though maybe Peter would have an idea what
would be needed. (Note this would also provide a usable solution to the
build-the-tutorial problem I mentioned.)