Re: New feature request: FlashBack Query

From: Rod Taylor <rod(dot)taylor(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Chad Wagner" <chad(dot)wagner(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, RPK <rohitprakash123(at)indiatimes(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New feature request: FlashBack Query
Date: 2007-02-20 15:42:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Wrong. When Oracle says it's committed, it's committed. No
> difference between when, where, and how. In Oracle, the committed
> version is *always* the first presented to the user... it takes time
> to go back and look at older versions; but why shouldn't that be a bit
> slower, it isn't common practice anyway. Same with rollbacks... why
> should they optimize for them when 97% of transactions commit?

Do 97% of transactions commit because Oracle has slow rollbacks and
developers are working around that performance issue, or because they
really commit?

I have watched several developers that would prefer to issue numerous
selects to verify things like foreign keys in the application in
order to avoid a rollback.

Anyway, I don't have experience with big Oracle applications but I'm
not so sure that 97% of transactions would commit if rollbacks were
cheaper.