Re: Header File cleanup.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Header File cleanup.
Date: 2000-05-30 06:06:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> Enlighten me:
> Why use #include "header.h" over #include <header.h> for exported interface
> header files?

As Marc mentioned, we've gone round on that before.  I think the bias
for using "" is largely because it's convenient (or even necessary,
in some scenarios) for building Postgres itself.  I am not aware of
any compelling arguments why <> would be better from the perspective
of a client app trying to use already-installed Postgres header files
--- if you know some reasons, let's hear 'em!

I'm prepared to believe that the client's-eye view might favor something
different from the developer's-eye view.  I think you were suggesting
that we might want to replace "" by <> in installed copies of the
headers.  I'd support that if it were shown necessary, but I'd want to
be shown first...