Re: partitoning expert : Partitonning with specialization of one column type

From: Steven Erickson <Steven(dot)Erickson(at)telventdtn(dot)com>
To: Rémi Cura <remi(dot)cura(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: partitoning expert : Partitonning with specialization of one column type
Date: 2015-04-01 14:21:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Your child could be:

CREATE TABLE child-1(
patchn pcpatchn
) INHERITS (father);

From: pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org [mailto:pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Rémi Cura
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2015 8:41 AM
To: PostgreSQL General

Hey, postgres 9.3 here.
for partitionning expert.
I have several table child with columns (gid serial, patch pcpatch(n))
where n may change depending on the tables, and pcpatch is a type from pgpointcloud extension
(here is the definition)
-----
CREATE TYPE pcpatch
(INPUT=pcpatch_in,
OUTPUT=pcpatch_out,
RECEIVE=-,
SEND=-,
TYPMOD_IN=pc_typmod_in,
TYPMOD_OUT=pc_typmod_out,
ANALYZE=-,
CATEGORY='U', DEFAULT='',
INTERNALLENGTH=-1, ALIGNMENT=int4, STORAGE=MAIN);
-----
The question is, how do I create an inheritance scheme?

If the father table is

CREATE TABLE father(
gid serial,
patch pcpatch
) ;
trying to put child_1, child_2 ... to inherit father raise an error

----
child table "test_child_1" has different type for column "patch"
----
So my question is, how would it be possible (if at all) to inherit of father table, while specializing the type of father table in child table?
Thanks,
Cheers,
Rémi-C

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.