Re: New form of index "persistent reference"

From: "Bort, Paul" <pbort(at)tmwsystems(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New form of index "persistent reference"
Date: 2005-02-10 17:55:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

If that ID is the only thing you use to access that data, why not just store
it in a flat file with fixed-length records? seek() (or your language's
equivalent) is usually fast.

If you need to drive that from within PostgreSQL, you would need an
untrusted language to read the file, but you could also generate it from a
table using a trigger.

Or maybe use a serial column, an index on that column, and cluster the table
on that index. It's more than one lookup, but not much with a Btree index.
(Not sure if this is better than just using a serial and an index.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/sql-cluster.html says it
isn't, if I read it correctly.)

Then anytime there is a batch of updates to the table, re-cluster it.