phpPgAdmin + PostgreSQL + authentication

From: "Johnson, Shaunn" <SJohnson6(at)bcbsm(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: phpPgAdmin + PostgreSQL + authentication
Date: 2002-10-08 16:21:05
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Howdy:

Not sure if this the most likely of maillists to ask,
but is anyone using phpPgAdmin? I have a few questions
regarding authentication of username / passwords.

I'm running PostgreSQL 7.2.1 on RedHat Linux 7.2 kernel 2.4.7-10.
I have phpPgAdmin 2.4.2 installed.

Basically, I want to know: how to configure phpPgAdmin to
allow all the users that exist in pg_shadow to log in and
be authenticated?

In my pg_hba.conf, I have this:

[snip conf file]

# TYPE DATABASE IP_ADDRESS MASK AUTH_TYPE
AUTH_ARGUMENT
local all trust
host all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 md5
host all 16.x.x.1 255.0.0.0 md5
host all 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 md5

[/snip conf file]

In the config.inc.php, I have this:

[snip php conf]

// The $cfgServers array starts with $cfgServers[1]. Do not use
$cfgServers[0].
// You can disable a server config entry by setting host to ''.
$cfgServers[1]['local'] = false;
$cfgServers[1]['host'] = 'test.localserver.net';
$cfgServers[1]['port'] = '5432';
$cfgServers[1]['adv_auth'] = true;

$cfgServers[1]['user'] = ''; // if you are not using adv_auth,
// enter the username to
connect all the time
$cfgServers[1]['password'] = ''; // if you are not using adv_auth and

// a password is
required enter a password
$cfgServers[1]['only_db'] = ''; // if set to a db-name, only this db
is accessible

[/snip php conf]

As I understand it, shouldn't this allow any user with TCP connection
to access the database? I suppose I am trying to understand if
adv_auth even uses pg_shadow at all, or, does 'local' means that
no authentication is needed, anyone can log in.

The only thing that happens at the index.php page is when I log
in, I get "Wrong username/password. Access denied".

I mean, if I can access the database via command line (psql -U joe -d
testdb)
without needing to authenticate myself, shouldn't that mean that phpPgAdmin
allows the same thing? Otherwise, I should be able to use what's in
pg_shadow, right?

I am re-reading the documentation page. Any info / direction is
appreciated.

Thanks!

-X