get date in binary number format

From: "Johnson, Shaunn" <SJohnson6(at)bcbsm(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: get date in binary number format
Date: 2002-09-26 14:40:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Howdy:

Silly question time -

Is there a way to get the date and change
it into a binary number?

To explain:

One of my colleague suggested that we could start
doing our backups / dump of the database via the
'Tower of Hanoi' algorithm.

The algorithm to select backup number would be the
smallest non-zero place in binary representation of
the backup number (tape).

My thinking is that I could try to figure out a case
statement to get the backup date and from there get
a binary number (an anchor date from the beginning
of the year) unique to that backup dataset (or, tape).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-X