Re: LIKE, leading percent, bind parameters and indexes

From: "Rodrigo Hjort" <rodrigo(dot)hjort(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LIKE, leading percent, bind parameters and indexes
Date: 2006-05-25 17:18:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'm not used to the PG Internals. But let me see if I understood that.

The LIKE operator, when applied on a static string and it is not preceded by
'%', causes the planner to search for some indexes in the table in order to
make a index scan. Otherwise, i.e. using leading '%' on static text or bound
paremeter, makes the planner always do a sequential scan. Is that the
scenario?

--
Rodrigo Hjort
http://icewall.org/~hjort