Re: TODO item -- Improve psql's handling of multi-line

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Sergey E(dot) Koposov" <math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Andreas Seltenreich <seltenreich(at)gmx(dot)de>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO item -- Improve psql's handling of multi-line
Date: 2005-12-08 06:34:54
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Sergey E. Koposov" <math(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)ru> writes:
> On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> A zero byte is probably a pretty bad choice. Some other low valued byte
>> (e.g. \x01 ) would probably work better.

> Currently I replace '\n' with the '\x01' as Andrew suggested.

Won't this get confused by some of the Far Eastern encodings we support?
The zero-byte approach is at least proof against that. But what we need
to ask is whether we can expect readline to cope with either.

The patch *looks* pretty ugly: random insertions of blank space,
general failure to conform to the project's code layout conventions,
etc. (Some of this would get cleaned up by pgindent, but I'm not sure
how much.) Also I get the impression that the patch enforces a lot of
history maintenance overhead even in the non-USE_READLINE case, which is
surely useless.