Re: Command Triggers, v16

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Command Triggers, v16
Date: 2012-03-16 13:50:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:58:49 PM Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
>> I tricked that in the grammar, the type is called cmdtrigger but I
>> though it wouldn't be a good choice for the SQL statement.

> Hm. I am decidedly unhappy with that grammar hackery... But then maybe I am
> squeamish.

Multi-word type names are a serious pain in the ass; they require
hackery in a lot of places. We support the ones that the SQL spec
requires us to, but I will object in the strongest terms to inventing
any that are not required by spec. I object in even stronger terms to
the incredibly klugy way you did it here.

If you think "cmdtrigger" isn't a good name maybe you should have
picked a different one to start with.

While I'm looking at the grammar ... it also seems like a serious
PITA from a maintenance standpoint that we're now going to have to
adjust the CREATE COMMAND TRIGGER productions every time somebody
thinks of a new SQL command. Maybe we should drop this whole idea
of specifying which commands a trigger acts on at the SQL level,
and just have one-size-fits-all command triggers. Or perhaps have
the selection be on the basis of strings that are matched to command
tags, instead of grammar constructs.