Re: Problems with pgagent Jobs

From: "Selber, Heiko" <heiko(dot)selber(at)siemens(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problems with pgagent Jobs
Date: 2006-06-01 15:35:13
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply.

> > 1. Under certain conditions the 'Jobs' icon doesn't appear in the
> > pgadmin window.
>
> I can't imagine how 2 versions of pgAdmin could conflict in this way.
> More likely I suspect you used a different maintenance DB (template1
> instead of postgres for example). The Jobs node will only be shown if
> the pgAgent schema and objects are found in the maintenance
> DB specified
> in the connection dialogue.

Ahh, you're right. I didn't change the connection settings after
installing pgagent and the postgres DB, so pgadmin kept using template1
(until I reinstalled it). Stupid me.

> > 2. When I create a job pgagent doesn't seem to be triggered
> at all. I
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > I don't think I made an obvious mistake because pgagent works on a
> > second machine with roughly the same configuration.
>
> Against the same database or a different one? Also, make sure
> you didn't
> specify a host agent in the job definition unless you know
> for sure what
> should be in there.

It is a different database on a different host, but the setup should be
theoretically the same. Only that they were installed by two different
persons.

And no, I didn't specify a host agent.

It is good news that I don't have to reinstall. But perhaps a service
restart or reboot would help? There might be stale locks somewhere (I am
only guessing).

> > BTW: Where would the debug output go when pgagent runs as daemon? I
>
> Stdout.

Obviously :-)