Multiple currencies in a application

From: novnov <novnovice(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Multiple currencies in a application
Date: 2006-11-10 05:51:20
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm working on an application that will eventually need to support various
currencies. I've never touched this area before, have dealt with dollars
till now. I'm not sure what the regular practices are re mulitple currencies
in the same application.

The app includes calculations like price per unit, which of course involves
division and thus fractional monetary units. I'm more concerned about that
stuff than formatting/presentation.

Users of the app will be able to identify the currency that is relevant for
their use, and each individual user won't be using more than one currency.

Do I handle all currency calcs in functions that adjust for currency?