Re: PostgreSQL x Sybase

From: "Ian Harding" <iharding(at)destinydata(dot)com>
To: "Mark Aufflick" <mark(at)aufflick(dot)com>
Cc: Reimer <carlosreimer(at)terra(dot)com(dot)br>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL x Sybase
Date: 2006-03-31 15:46:26
Lists: pgsql-general

> A commonly overlooked comparison for "always on" systems is to compare
> what sorts of operations you can do to databases without needing to
> restart the server or drop tables, lock out users etc.

We use Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere 8 here and the thing that
annoys me about it is exactly this. You can't modify any database
objects (AFAICT) while there are other connections. I have to script
things and schedule them to run in the middle of the night.

There "Enterprise" product is apparently a completely different
animal, so it is probably better.

- Ian