Re: optimum settings for dedicated box

From: Ian Harding <harding(dot)ian(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Matt A(dot)" <survivedsushi(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: optimum settings for dedicated box
Date: 2005-08-31 04:43:19
Lists: pgsql-general

Mine in similar, and the only thing I have changed from defaults is
work_mem. It made certain complex queries go from taking forever to
taking seconds. I have a database connection pool limited to 10
connections, so I set it to 10MB. That means (to me, anyway) that
work_mem will never gobble more then 100MB. Seems OK since I have
1GB.

Free space map should probably be tweaked too, if you have lots of
updates or deletes. I think.

- Ian