Re: DROP COLUMN misbehaviour with multiple inheritance

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DROP COLUMN misbehaviour with multiple inheritance
Date: 2002-09-12 14:41:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee> writes:
>> Hm. Seems like attisinherited should have been a count, not a boolean.
>> Is anyone sufficiently excited about this issue to force an initdb to
>> fix it?

> The count approach seems definitely the right way, but a check (possibly
> a slow one) can be probably done without initdb.

Slow, complicated to code, and deadlock-prone (since you'd have to
acquire locks on the other parent tables). My feeling is we fix this
with a counted attisinherited field, or don't fix at all.

We can certainly do the proper fix in 7.4; do we consider this bug
important enough to do an initdb for 7.3beta2? I don't have a strong
feeling either way about that.