Re: Guidelines for upgrading from pgsql7.4.xxx server to pgsql8.xxx server

From: "Gregory S(dot) Williamson" <gsw(at)globexplorer(dot)com>
To: "Luki Rustianto" <lukirus(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Guidelines for upgrading from pgsql7.4.xxx server to pgsql8.xxx server
Date: 2006-03-29 10:42:20
Lists: pgsql-general

As others have pointed out, OID dependant tables may need special attention.

We recently upgraded from 7.4 to 8.1.x and found some issues with encoding -- 8.1 defaulted to a different encoding and we had some data that was invalid; we manually fixed the old data before retrying the export.

Make sure you read the manual's section on the configuration parameters as well; there are some changes / improvements.

Some SQL may need adjustment -- there are some stricter checks in 8.1 which will fail to run SQL that 7.4 would accept (look for the "Missing WHERE clause" stuff in the manual, for instance.)

Our upgrade went smoothly (both runtime with postGIS data and the billing side of things) and I'd upgrading; 8.1 has some substantial improvements.

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC