Comparing two (largish) tables on different servers

From: "Gregory S(dot) Williamson" <gsw(at)globexplorer(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Comparing two (largish) tables on different servers
Date: 2004-11-09 22:41:00
Lists: pgsql-sql

This is probably a silly question.

Our runtime deployment of database servers (7.4) involves some redundant/duplicate databases. In order to compare tables (about 5 gigs each) on different servers I unload the things (takes a while etc.), sort them with a UNIX sort and then do a cksum on them.

Is there any way to do this from inside postgres that anyone knows of ? I looked through the manual and the contrib stuff and didn't see much ...

Thanks,

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC