Re: Simpler dump?

From: Ted Byers <r(dot)ted(dot)byers(at)rogers(dot)com>
To: "Uwe C(dot) Schroeder" <uwe(at)oss4u(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Ted Byers <r(dot)ted(dot)byers(at)rogers(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Simpler dump?
Date: 2007-12-10 12:59:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks Uwe

This is a great start. It reduces the dump from 2 MB
down to 167K, but out of 6833 lines of SQL, 5744
relate to the public schema in the DB, and I didn't
touch that. It has over a dozen types, 419 functions,
&c., that were put there by postgresql the moment I
created the database. I'd expect the same stuff to be
there the moment I issue the create database directive
on the host machine, so all I really want is the dozen
sequences, two dozen tables, and the suite of
constraints I created, all in the schema specific to
my new DB.

Is there a reason pg_dump dumps the stuff in public
even though that stuff seems to be created, and
therefore present, in every database I create on a
given server instance? Isn't that duplication a waste
of space, and it's presence in the dump a waste of CPU
cycles?

Thanks again.

Ted