Re: Date/time value 'current' no longer available

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Randall Perry <rgp(at)systame(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Date/time value 'current' no longer available
Date: 2002-04-27 21:41:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Randall Perry <rgp(at)systame(dot)com> writes:
> I'm upgrading to 7.2 and saw this in the FAQ. Does this mean any value with
> current at the beginning no longer works -- i.e. current_timestamp?

No, it means the magic value 'current' is no longer available.
This has nothing to do with any SQL-specified behavior; it was a
poorly-considered hack that we inherited from Berkeley.

> If not, what's suggested in it's place?

'now' still works, but doesn't have quite the same behavior ('now' is
converted to a specific timestamp upon input).