Re: PGPASSWORD and client tools

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGPASSWORD and client tools
Date: 2004-08-19 02:07:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> How about an environment variable that points to a .pgpass type file.

You can do that today: point $HOME at some temp directory or other.
AFAIR pg_dump doesn't make any other use of $HOME ...

> Or we could even play games with PGPASSWORD - if it names an existing file
> that satisfies the .pgpass criteria then it will be taken as the
> location of the .pgpass file instead of $HOME/.pgpass - otherwise its
> value will be considered to be the password itself.

Gaack... if you want a separate variable, we can talk about that, but
let's not overload PGPASSWORD like that. Consider even just the
implications of whether libpq error messages should echo back the
"filename" ...