Re: idea: storing view source in system catalogs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "PG Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: idea: storing view source in system catalogs
Date: 2008-05-20 22:58:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I wonder if there is any merit to the idea of storing the 'create
> view' statement that created the view in an appropriate place.

No, there isn't.

As counterexamples look at pg_constraint.consrc and pg_attrdef.adsrc,
both of which were mistakes from the day they were put in, and have
been deprecated for a long time. Source doesn't have any reasonable
way to track table/column renames, to point out one problem.

> If I do:
> create view v as select * from foo;

> The view definition as understood by the database expands the column
> list.

Indeed, exactly as is *required* by the SQL spec.