Re: PostgreSQL, NetBSD and NFS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: tls(at)rek(dot)tjls(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, current-users(at)netbsd(dot)org, darcy(at)druid(dot)net
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL, NetBSD and NFS
Date: 2003-02-05 20:45:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thor Lancelot Simon <tls(at)rek(dot)tjls(dot)com> writes:
>> Unless NetBSD has changed from its heritage, the kernel disk cache
>> buffers are 8K, and so an 8K NFS read or write would never cross a
>> cache buffer boundary. But 32K would.

> I don't know what "heritage" you're referring to, but it has never been
> the case that NetBSD's buffer cache has used fixed-size 8K disk buffers,
> and I don't believe that it was ever the case for any Net2 or 4.4-derived
> system.

Could be. By "heritage" I meant BSD-without-any-adjective. It is
perfectly clear from Leffler, McKusick et al. (_The Design and
Implementation of the 4.3BSD UNIX Operating System_) that back then,
8K was the standard filesystem block size.

However, I was just guessing that that might have anything to do with
the problem. It does seem clear now that we are looking at a kernel
or network bug, though.