Re: [HACKERS] More on shared objects problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "D'Arcy" "J(dot)M(dot)" Cain <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
Cc: current-users(at)netbsd(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] More on shared objects problem
Date: 1999-07-27 14:33:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"D'Arcy" "J.M." Cain <darcy(at)druid(dot)net> writes:
> ldd now shows this.

> glaccount.so:
> -lpq => /usr/pgsql/lib/libpq.so
> -lc.12 => /usr/lib/libc.so.12

Actually, do you even need libpq? That's a client-side library; I don't
think it should get linked into shlibs that are intended to be dynlinked
into the server...

> ERROR: Load of file /usr/pgsql/modules/glaccount.so failed: dlopen (/usr/pgsql/modules/glaccount.so) failed (/usr/pgsql/modules/glaccount.so: Undefined symbol "CurrentMemoryContext" (reloc type = 6, symnum = 6))

> CurrentMemoryContext is defined in the postmaster (I checked with nm) which
> is the program doing the dlopen. Here is the relevant line from nm.
>
> 08138544 D CurrentMemoryContext

Hmm. On HPUX there is a special linker switch you have to use when the
main program is linked to make the linker "export" the main-program
symbols so that they will be visible to dynlinked libraries. Perhaps
your platform needs something similar.