Re: pg_config --sharedir points to the wrong folder.. is this a problem?

From: "Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
To: "Jennifer Trey" <jennifer(dot)trey(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_config --sharedir points to the wrong folder.. is this a problem?
Date: 2009-07-31 01:02:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Jennifer Trey wrote:

> >> locate pg_config
> /opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/bin/pg_config
> /opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/include/ecpg_config.h
> /opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/include/pg_config.h
> /opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/include/pg_config_manual.h
> /opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/include/pg_config_os.h
> /opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/include/postgresql/server/pg_config.h
> /opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/include/postgresql/server/pg_config_manual.h
> /opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/include/postgresql/server/pg_config_os.h
> /opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/share/man/man1/pg_config.1
> /usr/bin/pg_config
> /usr/share/man/man1/pg_config.1.gz

> >> echo $PATH
> /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
>
> I am guessing I should delete the pg_config (or else there would be a
> conflict, right?) in the /usr/bin

Actually you should restrain from doing that, because it would break the
package that installed that file, and then your system would become harder to
manage in the long run. It's better to act at the package level with the dpkg
command.

/usr/bin/pg_config is part of the libpq-dev package (this can be found with
dpkg -S /usr/bin/pg_config)

Probably you haven't uninstalled this package, which you can check by
running:
dpkg -s libpq-dev (look at the Status field). In this case, remove it
(apt-get remove libpq-dev)

You can also remove the postgresql-common and postgresql-client-8.3 packages
if they're still there and you want to avoid any possible conflict with your
other postgresql installation.
dpkg -l 'postgresql*' also displays the list of most PG-related packages and
whether they're installed or not.

> Is there other things that could have been destroyed by the bad
> un-installment other than pg_config or was that it ?

It doesn't look like the uninstallation of the server itself has gone bad in
any way. You mentioned removing the package without stopping the server
beforehand, but personally I doubt that the package uninstall process doesn't
do it automatically.

Best regards,
--
Daniel