Re: three VERY minor things with 7.1 final

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David George <david(at)onyxsoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: three VERY minor things with 7.1 final
Date: 2001-04-17 23:21:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

David George <david(at)onyxsoft(dot)com> writes:
> I just built the postgresql 7.1 final and the configure script is still
> checking for sfio. Not a major big deal, but I need to remove the sfio
> check from configure.in, run autoconf, and then configure to fix it. If
> you remember sfio on Sparc Solaris 7 was causing a segfault when psql
> would display its output.

Hmm. Digging in the CVS logs and pghackers archives, it seems that
configure started checking for sfio in response to Michael Richards'
unsubstantiated claim that FreeBSD 2.2.5 requires it to be used
(http://www.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-hackers/1998-04/msg00363.html).
Can anyone confirm or deny that? Marc had previously expressed some
interest as well (thread starting at
http://www.postgresql.org/mhonarc/pgsql-hackers/1998-04/msg00219.html)
but the outcome of that thread didn't seem to suggest that it's a
must-have item.

I'm tempted to rip out the configure check for sfio, but if it's only
broken on some systems and really is useful on others, then we have to
try to figure out how to tell if it's broken :-(

> Also, during make install I am getting "lack of permissions" when it
> tries to install Perl. I have Perl 5.6.0 on this machine built from
> source. It tells me to fix the problem and go into src/interfaces/perl5
> and do a make install. Without fixing any problem I just go into
> src/interfaces/perl5 and do a make install and it works without
> returning any errors.

No clue about this. The makefile is testing for writability of perl's
INSTALLSITELIB, which ought to succeed if you are root. Besides which,
if you go into that directory and do "make install" again, it ought to
fail again in the same way. Unless maybe root's path is different, and
you are invoking make not gmake the second time?