Re: inheritance. more.

From: "Nathan Boley" <npboley(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jeremy Harris" <jgh(at)wizmail(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: inheritance. more.
Date: 2008-05-01 20:41:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Because people can be smarter about the data partitioning.

Consider a table of users. Some are active, most are not. The active
users account for nearly all of the users table access, but I still
(occasionally) want to access info about the inactive users.
Partitioning users into active_users and inactive_users allows me to
tell the database (indirectly) that the active users index should stay
in memory, while the inactive users can relegated to disk.

-Nathan