Re: [SQL] (Ab)Using schemas and inheritance

From: "Tony Wasson" <ajwasson(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: "Jorge Godoy" <jgodoy(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] (Ab)Using schemas and inheritance
Date: 2006-05-24 00:54:09
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

On 5/23/06, Jim C. Nasby <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com> wrote:
> > Is this a good idea? Would this be too bad, performance-wise, if I had
> > thousands of schemas to use like that? Any advice on better approaches? Any
> > expected problems?
>
> One issue is that you'll probably be breaking new ground here a bit; I
> suspect there's very few people that are using more than a handful of
> schemas. Shouldn't pose any issues, but you never know; although any
> issues you do run into should only be performance problems.

$.02 about lots of schemas.

I worked with an application that had 500 schemas and that worked very
well. However, as the number of schemas exceeeded 8000 the query speed
started to degrade. Running \d with a single schema in your search
path took a few seconds with that many schemas. Queries that were
running in 100ms were now taking about 600ms.

In short, postgresql will support lots of schemas.