Re: BUG #5807: psql fails to launch with "Cannot read termcap database; using dumb terminal settings. Aborted"

From: moa <michael(at)jixel(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5807: psql fails to launch with "Cannot read termcap database; using dumb terminal settings. Aborted"
Date: 2011-01-27 13:38:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Jan 7, 6:35 pm, Sergey White <airsun(dot)wh(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > > Thanks Dharmendra, however in Ubuntu there is no package called
> > > libtermcap, though it has been suggested that the libncurses5-dev
> > > package provides this [1]. However I tried this and I still get the
> > > same error. Do you know the exact Ubuntu package that I need to
> > > install?
>
> > Apparently my colleague downloaded and installed a tarball of GNU
> > termcap 1.3.1.
>
> > I'm still not clear how this passed our internal testing though; I'm
> > guessing the QA test VMs do have some package on them which includes
> > termcap. Continuing the investigation...
>
> > --
> > Dave Page
> > Blog:http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> > Twitter: @pgsnake
>
> > EnterpriseDB UK:http://www.enterprisedb.com
> > The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
>
> > --
>
> Hi all. I have the same problem today was to install and create db in
> PSQL program in PostgreSQL 9.0.2 (Ubuntu 10.10 (32bit)). I solved it
> by using this command: LD_PRELOAD = /lib/libreadline.so.5 ./psql <and
> then your data>

I am still getting this problem.

I do a fresh install of the latest debian. I do the fresh install of
9.0.2 from the binary installer.

Everything works prefectly, except for not being able to run psql....

postgres(at)debian:~$ /opt/PostgreSQL/9.0/bin/psql
Password:
psql (9.0.2)
Type "help" for help.

Cannot read termcap database;
using dumb terminal settings.
Aborted

Anyone fiqured out how to fix this yet?? I think I may need to resort
to compiling from source otherwise??