Out Of Memory Error on GiST Index

From: James Cradock <jcradock(at)me3(dot)com>
To: "<pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org> <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Out Of Memory Error on GiST Index
Date: 2005-09-01 10:18:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello.

I'm getting an Out Of Memory error when I try to create a GiST index on
a geometry column (PostGIS) with approximately 33,000,000 rows. I can
truncate the data in the table, create the GiST index on the empty
table, but when I try to reload the data via pg_restore I get the
error. I get the error also if I try creating the GiST index on the
table with the 33,000,000 rows.

Are there limitations with the GiST index? Has anyone seen this?

Thanks.

Jim

-----
James Cradock, jcradock(at)me3(dot)com