Re: pg_locks needs a facelift

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Subject: Re: pg_locks needs a facelift
Date: 2005-05-02 20:34:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > well, the old ones are GPL. I've made a few attempts to contact the
> > original author...he's MIA. Since 95% of the implementation is in
the
> > backend, it seems odd to have a GPL interface.
>
> I agree. Wasn't it you that was proposing to rewrite the module from
> scratch to eliminate the GPL restriction?
>
> regards, tom lane

Yep. Actually, the biggest part of this was figuring out what to do
about the pg_locks view. Since that's basically decided, all that
remains is to decide what if anything to do about the
max_locks_per_transaction GUC variable. User locks at the very least
are extra-transactional so this could perhaps be renamed. This could
possibly hinge on how Alvaro's 'spill to disk' scenario plays out.

FWIW, I'm a huge fan of the current behavior which is to drop
transactions when running out of lock-space. In any event, I'll rewrite
the interface and the documentation for user-locking with minimal
changes except to expose more of the locktag structure and remove
references to the deprecated and conceptually confusing oid.

Merlin