basic questions with odbc and visual basic.

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: basic questions with odbc and visual basic.
Date: 2004-09-27 18:10:07
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hello,

I have some basic questions regarding visual basic and odbc. So far,
I've been having problems getting Visual Basic/Access to write data back
to my database via odbc. Normally I use Delphi for this type of thing,
but some of our clients are insisting on vb 6.0 access.

The biggest problem I have is that updating data from a VB app always
fails...the problem is that at update time ADO builds a where clause
containing every field in the table, not just the primary key.
Invariably, this causes the update to not to work. If I have some type
of integer primary key for my table is there some way of forcing the
driver row resolution to write queries in the form of

update t set [] where f = k?

instead of

update t set [] where f1 = a, f2 = b, f3 = c [...] for all the fields in
t?

Merlin