Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: <jm(at)poure(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL advocacy" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?
Date: 2004-05-03 19:58:09
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
> With PostgreSQL Win32 version and looking at pgAdmin III statistics,
> reaching
> one million downloads every month seems a reasonable target.
PostgreSQL is
> such a wonderful community project that there is no need to build
complex
> marketing strategies to reach impressive goals.

Lesson learned from mysql: make the most of what you have.

These are amazing statistics and I humbly suggest that they should be
made visible in the PostgreSQL community, with links and more community
oriented news...i.e. keep advocacy more tightly integrated with the main
news feed.  What's good for command prompt is good for pgAdmin, etc.
etc.

i.e. along with news items like "pg replicator 4.23 released", post
items like "pgAdmin passes 5 millionth download mark", or something like
this.  Never underestimate the benefits of shameless self promotion.
Postgres is, IMO, on the verge of some major breakthroughs (and not just
because of win32) and it never hurts to let the world know it.

Corollary: is it possible to to tally up pg downloads throughout the
mirror system?

Merlin

pgsql-advocacy by date