Re: forums.postgresql.com.au

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: forums.postgresql.com.au
Date: 2011-04-06 15:10:18
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-www

On Apr 6, 2011, at 8:49, Thom Brown wrote:

> On 6 April 2011 13:15, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca> wrote:
>> Why do these two completely different styles of
>> interaction need to be merged anyway? I think adding forum traffic to
>> the mailing list will be yet another way to make the lists less
>> useful.)
>
> It introduces another point of entry to the community. There will be
> people who are averse to mailing lists, and find forums more familiar
> and accessible. Adding more traffic means more users involved in the
> community. Not sure why this makes the lists less useful.

Frankly, when I frequented the Ruby mailing lists, I ended up purposely filtering out the posts coming from the forum. I found the forum postings to be of much lower quality than the ones coming through the mailing list. Granted, this is anecdotal, and based on my own personal experience.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net