Backup and Restore from 8.3.0 to 9.1.3

From: Kasia Tuszynska <ktuszynska(at)esri(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Kasia Tuszynska <ktuszynska(at)esri(dot)com>
Subject: Backup and Restore from 8.3.0 to 9.1.3
Date: 2012-09-20 17:01:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Everybody,

I am experimenting with backups and restores....
I am running into something curious and would appreciate any suggestions.

Backing up from:
Postgres 8.3.0
Windows 2003 sp1 server (32bit)

- Took a compressed binary backup of a single db (the default option in pgAdminIII, right click backup)

- Took a plane backup of the same single db, (plane option in the right click backup gui in pgAdminIII)

Restoring to:
Postgres 9.1.3
Windows 2008 R2 (64bit)
Aside from not finding the pldbgapi.dll, when restoring, what seem to contain debug functions

- Tried restoring the compressed binary backup with pg_restore - Error

o I get an error message: pg_restore [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR: permissions denied for schema bob

§ The bob schema is owned by the bob user, which is superuser, it is the user with which I am restoring

§ The object being restored :

· will be placed in and owned by a user/schema rob,

· the name for this object is derived from a query from a bob owned/stored table,

· rob is not superuser

· all schemas grant usage privs to public

· all users are part of public

- Tried restoring the plane backup as a .sql file in psql, as the bob user - Success !

o The object in question was created

Question #1: what does the error mean?

- Does it mean that the bob user cannot create an object in the rob schema?

- Does it mean that the bob user cannot query from an object stored in the bob schema and owned by bob?
Question #2: if the restore was successful from a sql file but not from a dump file, where is the difference in the restoration process from those two files?

- Is there a difference in locking or concurrency mechanisms employed by those two restoration methods?

- I listed out the objects in the dump file, does the list indicate the order of restoration?
Question #3: the object is a gist index, we are also restoring a btree index, the btree index name also derives from a query on a bob owned/stored table, and yet the btree index gets created with both restoration methods, but the gist does not

- Could this experience have anything to do with this being a gist index?

Thank you,
Sincerely,
Kasia