PostgreSQL unexpectedlly closes the connection

From: João Miguel Ferreira <jmf(at)estg(dot)ipvc(dot)pt>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL unexpectedlly closes the connection
Date: 2006-08-27 19:23:37
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello all,

I'm developing a program (daemon) in Perl. This program colects system information and stores in Pg via perl-DBI and perl-DBD-Pg.

The performance is totally great... but once in a while I the server closes the connection when I try to do an Insert/Update/Delete...

The Perl-DBI error is +/- something like this "... server closed the connection unexpectedlly..."...

Strange enough the same query is executed thousands of times per hour an only ocasionally I get this error... my program detects the error and reconnects... but I'dd really like to get to the bottom of this...

I've already run my daemon with trace activated but I still can't get any additional info as to the reason of the problem...

What reasons make Pg close the connection ?
How do I begin debbuging this... ?

Thanks

jmf