Re: Import from CSV - Questions

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "Joel Hainley" <joelh(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Import from CSV - Questions
Date: 2006-03-10 13:40:22
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

> To be honest I didn't realise it was there. The tool I have
> in mind for more general data movement is a simplified
> version of something like Microsoft's DTS, essentially with
> input, transform and output modules. The input modules might
> get data from ODBC or a CSV file for example, the transform
> module would allow either straight mapping of source to
> target columns, and (probably) python based transformation
> for more complex stuff, and the output module would insert
> the data into PostgreSQL, a CSV file or and ODBC data source etc.
>
> That is clearly a complex project though... An alternative
> might be a simple wizard, activated by a 'load data' option
> on the table context menu
>
> Magnus was also talkng about XML export (and import?) so
> perhaps he has some ideas.

Yeah, I've got some very sketchy design and code started around
somewhere. Nothing ready to be looked at yet though, much less something
usable.

(And yes, the design was modularised to plugin thigs like ODBC and
stuff, just in this particular case I needed XML specificaly)

BTW - one important aspect is that the actual transfer part should run
as a separate program and not just inside pgadmin. pgadmin would do the
GUI to set it up only.

//Magnus