Re: Problem V8.1.4 - providing pwd for commandline tools doesn't

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Alexander Scholz" <alexander(dot)scholz1(at)freenet(dot)de>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem V8.1.4 - providing pwd for commandline tools doesn't
Date: 2006-06-01 12:45:30
Lists: pgsql-general

> I don't understand why the change should be "more secure",
> but I see that nobody took care about the possible
> consequences for installation scripts, third party
> applications and so on. :-(((

If the installation scripts and third party apps followed the standard
way of doing it, they would not be affected. What has been done is to
change the win32 version of the tools to behave the exact same way as
the tools have behaved on Unix for years.
Previously, the win32 implementation was not in sync with the
documentation. After 8.1.4, it now is.

(There's also the fact that the old, incorrect, handling had a serious
bug in it that could make it impossible to connect to the database if
you had a c:\dev directory on your machine)

> If you change such essential behaviour (the old behaviour of
> the commandline tools did work well since 8.0!) and cause
> such an incompatibility, you should have at least clearly
> stated this in the update readme. The comment "Fix problem
> with password prompting on some
> Win32 systems" is a little bit "short" regarding such an
> immens impact on any installation script...

That, however, I agree with. It should've been clearer in the release
notes. We just didn't anticipate that people relied on teh old buggy
behaviour.

Perhaps that's worth updating in the release notes before we release
8.1.5, what do people think?

//Magnus