Re: Remote administration functionality

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remote administration functionality
Date: 2005-08-01 15:52:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > > file. Because
> pg_hba.conf.
> > > hardcoded to the
> > >
> > > It allows remote administration, and by using columns for the
> > > pg_hba.conf lines (except for comments), we are making it
> somewhat
> > > easier.
> >
> > I fail to see a real use-case for somebody editing pg_hba.conf *by
> > hand* using this. I can see it happening through a tool like
> > phppgadmin or pgadmin, in which case this will actually
> make it *harder* to implement.
>
> Uh, not sure why it would be harder. What system would be easier?
> Sure, file I/O works, but you can't even try to do that from psql.

Doing it from psql is the part I fail to see a real use-case for. The
people who would use psql for it would probably just use vi or emacs or
sed or whatever on the file itself.
If you needed to do it remotely, you could just call pqsl once to get
the data out to a local file, edit that file, and then call it again to
put it back on the server, no?

//Magnus