Re: Consultants/support company list

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Consultants/support company list
Date: 2005-03-17 22:37:33
Lists: pgsql-www

>> A preview of what it looks like right now, with just two companies
>> copied over from the old one, can be seen at
>> http://magnus-master.pgadmin.org/support/professional.
>Please don't use
>> that form, it currentlyi sends broken mails to my personal
>address ;-)
>> You can view it, but don't submit it. Thanks.
>>
>> If the list grows really large, it should probaly be split into
>> different pages. But we'll get there later :-)
>>
>> I have the edit pages done as well, but no good place to put
>them up for
>> show. But the form is basically the same.
>>

>> My two questions:
>> 1) Does this look good enough? Anything needs changing?
>>

>The company descriptions are too tall... several regions will have
>dozens of companies, how far down will people have to scroll? I think
>you better plan for large lists now rather than think you can add it
>later.

Got any ideas on how? Make each company get their own page? That'll lead
to a whole lot of clicking. Or do you think it'll be enough to give each
region it's own page?

>Grey text on grey background is not good... is it winter time in Sweden
>right now? ;-)

Hey, I didn't make the theme. It's the standard for the website tables.
It's the same in the menus for example. It's really all over the site.

But yes, it's winter :-) Though they say we should get spring-weather
starting next week, and it's starting to get a bit warmer already.

>Look at the listing for agliodbs... their url is busted, we
>will need to make sure we have some data scrubbing going on.

Yeah, what's there now is just an example and ntohing more than a very
quick cut/paste. All my fault :)
The form probably needs a validator there, yes.

>One thing I was hoping to include in the entries was a #href so that
>companies could put up links directly to their entry if they wanted.

That shouldn't be hard.

>Another thing that would be nice is to allow companies to self update
>these entries... perhaps some password hash code be sent to allow them
>to edit an entry if they provided the proper hash ?

That's also something I was planning to do - sometime in the future. I
figured we'd start with about what we have now and go from there.
One thing I was thinking there was perhaps we shuold have a "site wide
account", to modify other things as well (post news, etc). Might as well
star thinking in that direction so we don't end up with ppl needing
several different passwords.
Which is why I thought we'd do that a bit later :)

>> 2) What should we do about the old onesv (currently on techdocs at
>> http://magnus-master.pgadmin.org/admin/consultants.php). Our
>options are
>> to either copy them all over, or to just ask the people to re-submit
>> them. I'm not sure how up-to-date that list is. If it's not
>up-to-date,
>> or there is at least a serious risk that it's not, it might
>be better to
>> start from a clean sheet (we can of course send a mail to those
>> companies that list their contact addresses).
>>

>I think this is fine... we could get maybe a 1/2 dozen companies to
>populate it at first... test it out, and then send email to the rest
>where possible. I can put a redirect on techdocs to point to the new
>page, and provide disclaimer about things being up to date.

Which is fine? Keep the list we have now, or start from clean?

BTW, as of a couple of hours ago, the same system (more or less) also
handles the listings of hosting companies. Same question applies there.

>> I intend to add functionality to the system to request
>confirmation that
>> registrations on the system are still current, so we won't be in a
>> situation where we're unsure about (2) next time..
>>

>I'm assuming that this will send an email to the slaves so someone can
>review and apply changes?

New registrations and modifications go to slaves, yes. And if/when we do
the "edit your own", we'd still add approval by the slaves.

As for the confirmation system I was talking about I mean have the
system send the representative of the company a mail every <n> months
with a link in it. If they don't click the link, we remove the entry
automatically (or at least hide it). If they do, it's valid for another
two months. That could easilyi be done completely without any manual
work from the slaves.

>Otherwise a very nice start!

Thanks!
I certainly learned a bit more abuot the templating and forms ;-)

//Magnus