Re: UNICODE/UTF-8 on win32

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Tatsuo Ishii" <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UNICODE/UTF-8 on win32
Date: 2005-01-01 17:14:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

>TODO updated:
>
> o Disallow encodings like UTF8 which PostgreSQL supports
> but the operating system does not (already disallowed by
> pginstaller)
>
> To fix UTF8, the data needs to be converted to UTF16 and then
> the Win32 strcoll() can be used.

Not quite. We'd use the wcscoll() function. strcoll() does not work with
what windows calls "wide characters", which is UTF16, only with
"multibyte characters". The whole point of the fix is to be able to use
wcscoll() instead.

Also, not AFAIK, not only strcoll(), but also whatever is used to
generate UPPER() and LOWER() needs to be fixed. Possibly more?

//Magnus