Re: 8.0.0beta3 plpython link troubles

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Michael Fuhr" <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.0.0beta3 plpython link troubles
Date: 2004-10-10 16:30:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

>>> PostgreSQL 8.0.0beta3 (CVS HEAD)
>>> Python 2.3.4
>>> Solaris 9
>
>>> Executing a plpythonu function that used to work now causes the
>>> following error (wrapped):
>
>> It's broken on Fedora Core as well. I wonder how well tested that
>> distutils change was...
>
>No, it wasn't the distutils change, it was the change to make plpython
>build on Windows. This has evidently broken it on every other
>platform.

Hmm. For some reason, it *did* pass the tests on my Slackware machine. I
can't see how now, must be a missing distclean operation at some point
during testing. Sorry about that!

Clearly, pyhon_libspec needs the -lpython$python_version back. Just not
on win32 (because we don't have libpython2.3 there, we only ahve
python23.dll). but perhaps that could/should be filtered out in the
Makefile and not in python.m4.

I don't have a good working autoconf, so it'd be nice if someone who
does could check out a working fix. Dont' want to try without testing,
that might leave things even wrose than before. I'll try to get back to
a working autoconf install, but until then...

(BTW, it wasn't the win32 build part. It was the
complete-move-to-distutils part of the patch that was committed at the
same time)

//Magnus