Re: Pgsql beta 8 on windows starts and stops automatically.

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Terry Yapt" <yapt(at)technovell(dot)com>,<pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pgsql beta 8 on windows starts and stops automatically.
Date: 2004-08-23 08:35:00
Lists: pgsql-general
> Hello all,
>
> I am testing PostgreSQL 8.0 beta on a windows xp
> professional.  In the time when I did the install I have been
> working with pgadmin and so on...
>
> But after a few days, when I tried to continue with my tests.
>  I cannot start the postgresql service.  I always get this
> message windown when I try to start the service:
>
> "The postgresql service on the local computer started and
> stopped. some services stop automatically if they have no
> work to do, for example the performance logs and alerts services"
>
> The service starts and stops automatically and I cannot to
> work with pgsql.
>
> PS: I have translated (get from internet) the text message
> window because I have my system in spanish language.

This looks a lot like the postmaster.pid issue. Look in your DATA
directory, and remove that file if it exists.

If not, then it's a different issue. In this case, edit the
postgresql.conf file and set log_destination to include eventlog, then
look at eventlog output. (This is an issue with the installer that will
be fixed in the next beta release)

//Magnus

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: Terry YaptDate: 2004-08-23 08:52:40
Previous:From: Ulrich WisserDate: 2004-08-23 07:50:51
Subject: pg_dump in stand alone backend