Re: Backend crash

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "angshumitra ghosh" <angshumitrag(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backend crash
Date: 2004-05-31 04:30:58
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

"angshumitra ghosh" <angshumitrag(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> Can anyone please tell me why postmaster is shutting down ? What all
> causes the SIGINT signal to be sent to postmaster that causes rollback of
> open transactions and disconnection of open connections ?

I suspect that you are doing something roughly along the lines of

postmaster ... &

psql ...

^C

When you launch the postmaster from an interactive session, it is still
susceptible to being SIGINT'd by your shell unless you take steps to
prevent that. When I need to manually launch a postmaster, I usually
do this sort of thing:

nohup postmaster ...args... </dev/null >logfile 2>&1 &

The combination of nohup and making sure that none of stdin, stdout,
stderr are still connected to your terminal is enough to disconnect
the postmaster from your shell session in the Unixen that I've used.